Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Love, bribes and other important things.

Because it's Valentine's Day I am starting with a picture of pretty flowers courtesy of Rustin.  I would show the chocolates he sent but they are gone...


Here's what I spent the morning doing.  It made my family happy.


There are a few things I learned from my years (7+) working as a nurse and I've used a lot of those skills in my life as a mother--bandaging wounds, dosing tylenol and deciding whether injuries were ER worthy or not.  

But I learned another skill that is just as important.  What would that be you might ask?  The power of a good bribe.

It's true.  I don't know what it is about nurses and health care providers in general but there is nothing like a little food to butter them up.  If you ever find yourself or your loved one in the hospital and you want to be sure to receive good care I have a tip.  Find out whether the nurses work eight or twelve hour shift rotations and put together a basket of goodies for each shift. {Candy, lotions, popcorn--anything good.}  Night nurses will be especially impressed because usually only the day shift workers get the goodies.
I have seen the magic work many a time.

So to apply this to my life--I try to send food/treats in to Rustin's office from time to time.  Not only to make Rustin's life easier but because I really do appreciate them.
They often spend more time with him than I do and they can make things easy or miserable.

So for Valentine's Day I sent in a pan of cinnamon rolls.  I have worked many years to get these rolls just right but this time I used a little different recipe.  I used the recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  I made the dough at night and I rolled out the rolls, placed them on the pans, covered them with plastic wrap and put them in the fridge.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out but they were awesome! I'm so glad to know that I can make the rolls ahead and still have them ready and hot in the morning.

I spread the rolls on the big pan out to where they were just barely not touching each other.  Perfect.  I smashed the rolls together in the little pan and the rolls were doughy in the middle.  I just put them back in the oven but next time I will spread them out a little bit.  

I have to say--I like my frosting recipe better than The Pioneer Woman's.  It is perfect.  Not too sweet.  Buttery.  It can make a mediocre roll heavenly.  Here we go:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbs (about) milk
melt these together in a sauce pan until everything comes to a boil.
remove from heat.

add 1 tsp vanilla 
about 2 cups powdered sugar.

Wisk until it's smooth and a little thinner than cake frosting.  Frost the rolls when they are warm so it can seep into all the nooks and crannies.
Perfect!

3 comments:

Jamie Hatch said...

Kim I just found a recipe I loved too, only I didn't have a frosting that I loved - so thankyou for sharing! Happy V-day!

Juli said...

OK, so what exactly will the nurses do for you if you bring them goodies? Extra Tylenol?! I'm hoping that everyone in the hospital gets the same quality of care. . . Though it never hurts to say thank you. And I personally (confession, here) would probably treat people better if they brought me stuff. (Not cool, I know, but very honest.)

Your post has made me very hungry.

sariah said...

Thanks for the icing recipe! That is the part that I never like, so I usually eat them without icing. But really, good icing is much better....