Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

A new blog title...

I generally fall asleep within seconds of laying down at night but every once in a while I try to stop and think about what I should write about on our blog. Sometimes the list seems pretty short.  I haven't accomplished much:  the laundry still isn't done, the dishwasher is full--again, I still haven't painted the walls or refinished the headboard or tried that awesome recipe from Pinterest...

I spend most of my time on the three 'D's--dishes, diapers and driving.  The other day I made seven {!} trips to the middle school.  That's at least 10 minutes per trip each way for a total of around 2 1/2 hours (not including waiting time) dropping off and picking up.  It doesn't seem a very important use of my life...

This is where blogging comes in.

When  I look back to plan what to write about, I realize that those hours in the car with no radio and no distractions are some of the best conversations I have with my children.  I know who they eat lunch with and what class is the most boring and how it feels to keep missing foul shots at basketball practice.  We have a chance to really talk.  Suddenly driving my kids feels like my own little way of changing the world.

When I write I gain perspective.

When I look back I see the small acts of kindness (countless plates of goodies or meals just when we needed them, phone calls at the right moment, a hug from one of the kids...) and it becomes easier to see the tender mercies of the Lord in my life and my family's life.

I have a feeling things are going to get harder and time is going to pass faster than ever before.  I mean, isn't the world supposed to end this year?  We have until--what?--December 21st according to the Mayans?  As the kids get older their problems are much more serious than they were in the old days--a few sleepless nights or a toddler's temper tantrum in the middle of the grocery store is nothing compared with the trials and challenges of adolescence. We really do live in the Lion's Den.

Thankfully we aren't alone.  Our goal this year is to recognize and be grateful for all the little miracles that save us every day.

2 comments:

beck said...

When you write, I gain perspective too. Having better perspective is a huge goal of mine. So, thanks! Did I mention we're coming there tomorrow? Let's hang out. Lots.

Juli said...

The three d's. Ha ha ha.